Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Riding a Baby Yak

Have you ever ridden an adorable baby yak? Me, neither, and since I don't currently know where to find one, I settled for taking my new baby 'yak out for her first voyage today at Lake Wilderness.

My baby is an inflatable, backpackable 'yak. Everything you need to get going fits into the pack and then on your back and then on the kayak. 
Nifty-swifty! 
This momma brought her babies over while I was setting up. I have a sneaking suspicion that she's used to being fed.

If you use a regular camera's timer feature, is it still a selfie?

I started out in the shallower end of the lake, but the sun was shining into the water making everything underneath visible. I was fine with the vegetation (mostly) but when I started to see submerged trees, I barely stifled a screech, and paddled the opposite direction. Stuff under (dark) water gives me the heebie-jeebies. 

More traditional selfie over un-see-throughable water. 

Though the sun was shining, this photo is dark, but you can see that I could see Rainier for half my paddle around the lake.

While I won't be winning any races, the baby 'yak was a little champ. It seems like something you'd tip right off of, but she was surprisingly stable and didn't really even rock side-to-side much. In order to fall in the lake, I would've had to throw myself overboard. Fat chance with all that creepy stuff under water!